Parent Councils are the formal representative body for parents / carers with children attending school. Parent Councils are different in each school to enable them to meet the needs of parents / carers locally.
Parents/ carers are welcomed to be:
- involved with their child’s education and learning;
- be active participants in the life of the school; and
- express their views on school education generally and work in partnership with their children’s schools.
All parents / carers are automatically members of the Parent Forum at their child’s school.
The Parent Forum decides how their representatives on the Parent Council are chosen and how the Parent Council operates. Parents / carers are encouraged to volunteer or put themselves forward to be chosen as representatives of the Parent Council if they wish.
The main aims of the Parent Council are:
- To support the school in its work with pupils
- To represent the views of parents
- To promote contact between the school, parents/carers, pupils, providers of nursery education and the community
- To report to the Parent Forum
- To be involved in the appointment of senior promoted staff.
- To raise funds for the school for the benefit of pupils.
OFFICE BEARERS/MEMBERS 2017/18
Chairperson – Mrs S Kay
Vice-Chairperson -Mrs Z Fergie
Secretary – Mrs L Buchan
Treasurer – Mrs S Hamilton
Communication – Mr M Calder
Parent Council Meetings are held in public in Bilston Primary School. All parents and carers are welcome to attend.
Copies of the Minutes of Parent Council meetings and relevant documents are available for inspection at the school office or on the Parent Council Facebook page.
For more information on parental involvement or to find out about parents as partners in their children’s learning, please contact the school or visit the Parentzone website at www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk.
The National Parent Forum of Scotland has been set up to give Parent Councils and parents /carers an opportunity to discuss and raise educational issues of mutual interest or concerns at a national level.